When it comes to choosing a travel backpack, finding a quality bag can be vital. Whether you’re going on a trek and are in need of something big and sturdy to fit your load on the way, or a small pack to hold everything you need for work on the go; it’ll be important to find the right one.
Finding the best travel backpack for fat guys it can be a challenge without spending a lot of money on custom design.
In most cases, big guys need to take factors like strap size and adjustability into consideration, as well as the many other factors that can determine the durability, safety, and overall usefulness of the backpack. Even things like choosing between front loading and top loading packs (just two of several types available) is crucial.
Fortunately for you, we’re here to help.
You may also like:
- Best backpacks for travel with complete bag buying guide
- Best laptop backpack
- Top 10 backpacks for men
- Best Ultra-Thin Laptop Backpack
Note – Please know, some of the external links on this page are affiliate links, this means that if you purchase after following one, I make a small commission from the sale at no additional cost to yourself.
*Please note, this can vary by airline so please check first. We go by the industry standard which is 22 inches x 14 inches x 9 inches.
What to look for when trying to find a great backpack
There are a broad range of things that can help you to decide on which backpack to buy. The only difficulty is that most people don’t simply have all the knowledge they need to be able to pick for themselves without a little help and guidance first. Don’t worry though, we’re here to lend a hand to all the big guys who don’t know what they’re looking for.
Here are guidelines for some of the things you might want from a backpack:
- Bag size and capacity – Whether you intend to carry a big load or just a little, it’s always a good idea to pick a backpack that has a size and weight limit that’s suitable for your needs. 40 lbs is generally a good choice for work or everyday use, but it’s certainly worth looking into buying a pack with more space inside if you plan to carry more with you. Remember to choose a size and capacity that you know will be large enough for everything you need
- Internal frame – Most good travel backpacks these days are supported with an internal frame. In general, the support rods are hidden from view. There are external frame bags on the market, but we’d suggest avoiding these as the metal may prove to be uncomfortable during use, especially for longer travels and hikes
- A laptop compartment – Having secure laptop storage space within your pack can be perfect if you need to take your device with you and know that it’s safe. Fortunately, a wide variety of backpacks have a dedicated space for you to store your laptop. Just check the size of the dedicated slot to make sure that it’s a good fit
- Other pockets – Having additional space for other things you need to take along with you can be important, too. A water bottle pocket, space for a shoulder harness or hip belt (particularly for convertible backpacks), and back and front storage spaces are a few worthwhile examples
- Padded shoulder straps and hip belt – Something else that can be essential to comfort on a backpack is having padded straps. Also, bigger hiking packs will often have a hip belt to make it easier to distribute the weight, and as you can probably imagine, padding can be an added bonus
- Suspension – A suspension system can be a good addition to straps and belts on a bag, since these can generally help to keep it balanced and reduce slipping. It may not seem too important, but you’re likely to notice a difference while you’re using your pack Vs use without it
- Water resistant material – While you probably won’t need a backpack that’s 100% waterproof (except for some uses, of course), it’s generally best to get something that will at least hold up and keep your stuff safe in a spot of bad weather. For longer travel or hikes, it’s even more important to at least have some level of protection
Learning more about different types of backpacks
Not everyone knows their front loading bag from their top loading backpack, or what materials are the most durable and secure for their chosen model. Not all packs are made the same, and in many instances, taking the time to learn a little more about what’s on offer can be a great idea, as well as a huge benefit during your search for the ideal travel backpack.
So. If you need a hand on finding the best pack for your needs, you can rest assured that we’ll be able to help you out. Just take a look at a few of the ones we’ve selected and you’ll be well on your way to purchasing the perfect backpack.
From the straps, to the materials used; we’ve kept a variety of different features in mind to try and create a short list of options for you to choose from. Let’s get going.
Best travel backpack for fat guys on the market
- Asenlin 40L Travel Backpack (best overall value)
- BANGE Travel Laptop Backpack (best budget choice)
- TETON Sports Adventure Ultralight Plus Backpacks (best for sports and hiking)
- Osprey Arcane Small Laptop Backpack (best for work and everyday use)
- WITZMAN Vintage Multifunctional Canvas Leather Rucksack (best for long-term travel)
1. Asenlin 40L Travel Backpack – best overall value
If you’re looking for something that will be useful to you in a variety of situations and is also perfect for both traveling and daily use, Asenlin has you covered. With 40 Liters of space (which is about 88 lbs), there’s plenty of room for you to hold whatever you’ll need for your journey, whether it’s to the workplace or for a day of hiking. This isn’t the only reason why we think it deserves the top spot for general greatness, though.
The pockets consist of a laptop holder and a back panel, as well as the main compartment, water bottle holder, and more. This isn’t taking into consideration the many different compartments and 3 additional storage bags that make organizing everything a breeze, either. There’s a small, medium, and large bag; each of which fit nicely into the carry on backpack while still leaving plenty of room for more.
Made from high quality polyester (and offering water resistance too), it’s also excellent in terms of durability and strength. You can comfortably carry it, but if you’d rather use it as a suitcase, you can easily pull out the handle, and put the straps in the shoulder strap pocket. This backpack also has an adjustable buckle, reinforcement buckles, a hook, and a hand strap.
If you like the suitcase idea, be sure to also read our post about the best roller backpacks.
With a number of great features, from durability to its great design, it’s not hard to see why this is one of the best backpacks on the market – and better yet, it’s perfectly suitable for big guys. If we had to pick a downside, it’s that it’s only available in black, but in general the lack of color options is just a minor inconvenience.
To top it all off, it can be purchased for a very competitive price, which only makes it even more accessible to buyers. It’s typically the most popular choice for those looking to get a quality bag with a variety of features for an affordable amount.
Summary for this backpack:
- 40 Liter capacity
- Durable polyester
- Several pockets and compartments (including laptop space)
- Shoulder straps, plus side handle
- Price: Low-medium, especially considering the quality
- Carry and Travel: The large backpack carries 3 custom-made storage bags, which can improve your travel quality. The overall size meets the size standards...
2. BANGE Travel Laptop Backpack – best budget choice
If you’re looking to find a quality pack that offers plenty of room for a very affordable price, it’s well worth taking a look at BANGE’s travel backpack if you want something cheap while still being a decent product.
One great benefit aside from price is the large amount of space on offer, which is the same as Asenlin’s model above (40L). The main pocket can be opened wide and has plenty of room for you to store whatever you need.
It includes a laptop compartment too, for added safety and security while you’re on the go (it’s worth keeping in mind that it only fits laptops up to 17”). There are plenty of other smaller pockets too, like the side pockets (ideal for a water bottle, for example), and hidden back panel (ideal for phones, wallets, etc.).
With its USB interface design, you can also easily store a power bank and charge your devices while out and about, which makes these particular backpacks a great choice for work, school, and essentially anyone who has electronics on them when they go out and about.
This backpack is made using waterproof fabric, although it is worth noting that heavier rain could reduce its lifespan, so it’s often worth considering taking a rain cover of some kind if you know there’s going to be some tremendously wet weather. In most cases, you’ll find that a little dew or rain is perfectly fine.
On top of all this, you’ll be glad to hear that it’s sturdy and comfortable, too. Things like its ergonomic design and non-slip cushions on the shoulder straps will only make your life easier.
Any complaints? Well, as with the Asenlin backpack, there’s only one choice in terms of color and style. Fortunately, it makes up for this in the fact that it’s well designed and has a variety of other advantages that make it a great choice, alongside its excellent price. Overall though, it’s great for pretty much any big guy.
Summary for this backpack:
- 40 Liter capacity
- A number of pockets and compartments (plus a laptop space and hidden back pocket)
- Durable polyester
- USB compartment
- Price: Very cheap, but still a great product
- TSA freindly: The main pocket, which includes a laptop compartment, can be opened up to 180° which is designed for AIRPLANE TRAVEL and make it quick and...
3. TETON Sports Adventure Grand Backpack – best for sports and hiking
If you’re thinking of going out trekking in nature, it’s important to have a backpack suitable for the job – and we’re certain that TETON has the perfect product for your needs with this tall backpack. When it comes to size and storage, it’s the biggest on this list. It can hold up to 90 Liters (almost 200 lbs), and having such a large amount of space can be just perfect if you’re hoping to take a hefty load with you; especially on a multi day hike.
There are many different compartments to the pack, including sleeping bag storage at the bottom, easy to open front pockets and an extra 3L bag that can be buckled to the backpack for whatever smaller bits you might want quick and easy access to. It is quite large though, so it’s generally best for big and tall guys (although it’s considered to be a great backpack for most people anyway).
The extra padded hip belt is just one of the many features that adds to the comfort of this pack. A strong yet lightweight internal frame, easily adjustable back to better suit your torso length, and an ergonomic design are all ideal for making your trips as enjoyable as possible. The strong, water resistant material is perfect for when you’re hoping to be out and about, and features like gear loops and the tarp (which can be used as a poncho) only make it even better.
There are also other versions of this bag, like the Mountain Adventurer 4000 or Talus 2700. All of these have a fairly similar design, but the size and weight limits are different. If you’re looking for something smaller, you may want to look into getting one of the other hiking backpack variants from TETON.
Summary for this backpack:
- 90 Liter capacity (which is a huge amount of weight)
- Large size with plenty of storage space, and multiple pockets and compartments
- Optimum comfort for hikes, longer travel, and sporting needs
- Adjustable torso length, which is great for any big guys out there
- Different models, perfect for finding one with the ideal size and capacity (and the best fit)
- Price: Rather expensive in comparison to some of the others on this list, but well worth it
- ONE BACKPACK FOR EVERY ADVENTURE: Larger backpacks include a place for your snowboard, skis, climbing rope, snowshoes, or backpacking gear; Every backpack...
4. Osprey Arcane Small Laptop Backpack – best for work and everyday use
Considering purchasing a pack for work use, or carrying around the bits and pieces you need on a daily basis without needing a massive backpack? If so, Osprey might just have the ideal product for your needs.
A padded laptop and document sleeve can fit most 13” laptops and lower, with front panel and bottle side pocket to add to the features that make it useful for a wide variety of people. The polyester fabric is comfortable yet durable, and the bag itself is compact and secure. Pack suspension is another great feature that these backpacks have to offer, making them an even better choice.
Alongside all this, there are a number of color options for this Osprey carry on backpack, and while this is only an aesthetic difference, it’s ideal for those who are more considerate of their style as they go about their daily routines. From a more sophisticated Stonewash Black, to the brighter and more energetic Honeybee Yellow; you’ll find a color that’s great for any occasion.
All in all, this bag isn’t made to be the ultimate outdoor hiking backpack, but Osprey didn’t create it for this purpose. It is however perfect for what it’s intended for – simple, efficient everyday use. If you want something small and easy to carry on your back that’ll last, this might be the right choice for you.
Summary for this backpack:
- 10 Liter capacity
- Secure, durable, and comfortable
- Padded laptop and document compartment, as well as other pockets
- Pack suspension
- 7 different color choices
- Price: Fairly expensive, but it’s a good quality bag
- Large J-zip front panel access to internal compartment
5. WITZMAN Vintage Multifunctional Canvas Leather Rucksack – best for long-term travel
When you’re planning on traveling for a while and you need a good quality backpack to hold your important belongings, this pack from WITZMAN could be ideal.
The reason why we think this pack is one of the top choices for longer trips is because it has more than enough room for what you need, as well as being convertible and offering 3 different ways to carry it about. It can either be used as a regular backpack with shoulder straps, a duffle bag, or carried by hand with a side handle (often used by those who want to make use of it when it’s light and easy to carry around). If you ever need to switch between the three for any reason, it’s simple to do – and as with adjustable straps or torso backing, having different carry options can be really beneficial for big guys who would like a more multifunctional model.
Alongside the large capacity and carry modes, there are also plenty of pockets and compartments on this bag, including a dedicated spot for laptops (generally best for ones no more than 17”). The other pockets are suitable for tablets and phones too, and there’s more than enough room to fit a load of what you’ll need on your journey.
The outer material of this backpack is high quality canvas and PU leather, and the inside is made from polyester. The quality of workmanship on these backpacks makes it a great choice for a variety of different occasions and uses, since you’re likely to find that it not only has a great design and can hold a lot of weight, but it’s also comfortable and durable, too.
One other great aspect to mention is that there are 4 different color variants of this travel backpack, as well as each of those in a slightly larger size (21 inches, instead of 18.5 inch). The brown, blue, black, and green are all stylish choices, so it’ll come down to your personal preferences. There is a bonus option too, the 21 inch Canvas Black bag – and it’s well worth checking out.
Summary for this backpack:
- 30 Liter capacity
- Made with canvas, leather, and polyester
- A large, easy access main compartment, along with other pockets and a laptop compartment
- Convertible strap type
- A few color options and a great design
- Price: Medium, but certainly worth it
- Material: This vintage backpack made of premium quality canvas with PU leather, polyester lining, Gun-coloured hardware. Classic style and fashion and...
Final verdict on picking the ideal travel backpack for a big guy
Need something large and durable? A USB compartment to make charging easier? A general work bag? A model that goes easy on your back as you carry it? Whatever it is you need, there are going to be certain things that will help with your decision.
There isn’t simply one travel backpack that is far superior to the rest, but generally several that have different features and attributes that can make them appealing to varying individuals. With this in mind, it’s important to consider what you need and which features you would like to have, and make your decision based on this.
Top loading backpacks are ideal for some, where those with a main compartment suitable for laptops and documents might be best for others, so personal preference and usage should factor heavily in your decision.
Luckily, big guys have a number of options available to them when it comes to travel backpacks. No matter what size bag you need, there’s bound to be one that’s suitable for your needs out there.