There are literally hundreds of choices when it comes to choosing one of the best cheap backpacks and it is always a good idea to pick the one that suits your needs the most.
That’s why we have decided to put this review together to help anyone who is possibly wondering what are the best backpacks under $50.
Whether you are looking for backpacks for college students with laptops, one to travel the world with or a compact and slim commuting laptop, here are some cool backpacks under $50.
Note – Please know, some of the external links on this page are affiliate links, this means that if you purchase after following one, I make a small commission from the sale at no additional cost to yourself.
You may also like:
Are you in the market for a new school bag this year? Would you benefit from knowing what are the best college backpacks? If so, we can help you out when it comes to making the best decision on the best backpack for college.
Backpacks are used by many people with different backgrounds including but not limited to; professionals at work place, travellers, hikers, snowboarders, fitness enthusiasts and most of all, students from baby class to college and beyond.
While the idea of carrying your stuff on your back is older than we can say, the modern day backpack is quite young—probably about 40-something years old—and has seen many new fads and changes in that short amount of time.
Best Backpacks for under $50
- Sosoon 17” Travel Backpack
- Mancro Business Water Resistant Laptop Backpack
- Lovevook Laptop Backpack for Women
- Mark Ryden 15.6” Slim Business Laptop Backpack
- SHRRADOO 50L Laptop Backpack
- KROSER Laptop Backpack
- Himal Military Tactical Backpack
- JanSport Big Student Classics Series Backpack
- Bolang Water Resistant Nylon Backpack
- High Sierra Swerve Backpack
1. Sosoon 17” Travel Backpack
My Top Pick
There may be a number of different bags out there on the market, but safety and security features can be vital to anyone carrying laptops, electronic devices, and other valuable items. Fortunately, this cheap anti theft laptop backpack has exactly what you need.
There’s a hook on the side pocket of the laptop compartment, which you can fasten to the zipper of the main pocket, making it far more difficult for a thief to take anything without you noticing. There’s also a hidden pocket on the back to protect other important items too, like your passport or wallet.
Aside from its level of safety and security, features like thick, breathable, soft back padding and adjustable shoulder straps equipped with massage mats help to make your journeys that little bit more comfortable.
It’s a great laptop backpack under $50 with many features that are found in bags way more expensive which in my opinion only adds to the wide variety of reasons that make it a worthwhile buy.
- Dimensions: 19” x 12.5” x 7.8”
- 35 liter capacity, plus several pockets and compartments
- Secure and discreet hook to make it harder for thieves to open your bag
- TSA friendly
- 180 degree opening, while keeping all your items safe and secure
- LOTS OF STORAGE SPACE & POCKETS: One computer compartment can hold 17Inch, 15.6 Inch,14.3 Inch,13.3 Inch laptop. One large main compartment provides enough...
2. Mancro Business Water Resistant Laptop Backpack
Best Overall Value
Mancro Business Water Resistant Polyester laptop backpack is a sleek and modern backpack that can carry up to a 17-inch laptop.
Furthermore, it has been designed with comfort, class and affordable quality in mind. It’s made from durable Eco-Friendly Nylon fabric With Two “S” Curve Padded Shoulder Straps. As a result, it Offers Light-Weight Carrying experience and can also pass for the most durable backpack for college.
The most noteworthy thing about this backpack is all the extra reinforcement put in place for security purposes. The extra security is what makes this one of the best laptop backpacks.
It has metal zippers for the ultimate control and security ensuring that your electronics or other gadgets are safe inside the backpack. Also, there is a combination lock on top of the zippers that makes this backpack the most secure for use.
- Dedicated Laptop compartment holds Laptops less than 17 Inches
- 3 MAIN pockets & 9 INNER small pockets & 2 SEALED SIDE pockets, providing separated space for your Laptop and other gadgets making it easy to organize and find your stuff.
- External USB with built-in charging cable just in case you need to charge your phone.
- Includes a Theft Proof Combination Lock & Durable Metal Zippers
- PERFECT SIZE & STORAGE SPACE: Laptop backpack with perfect size to hold things and your 15.6 inch laptop or 15 inch, 14 inch Laptop. Convenient main...
3. Lovevook Laptop Backpack for Women
The fashionable one
For ladies who are looking for an in-fashion laptop backpack, you may want to consider buying this model from Lovevook. Designed to be simple yet highly useful, it’s perfect for teachers, students, traveling around, and a variety of work purposes too – all while looking stylish and professional.
While fairly small and compact there’s plenty of room and several pockets, allowing you to store everything you need and keep it efficiently organized. There’s also a dedicated laptop compartment, which can fit a computer of up to 14 inches inside. An anti-theft pocket, elastic water bottle pocket, and USB charging port are just a few more great storage solutions.
Several color options make it ideal for anyone who wants to pick something that suits their style, or even to simply pick a color that’s appropriate for their work and business needs. The fabric quality is certainly worth considering too, with a durable exterior and nylon interior.
- Dimensions: 14” x 11” x 5”
- Multiple compartments, including a USB port and anti-theft pocket
- 7 color choices; black, grey, light green, light pink, light red, orange, and wine red
- Comfortable padded shoulder straps, which are both breathable and adjustable
- Nylon, fits up to 14" / 15.6" / 17" laptop
4. Mark Ryden 15.6” Slim Business Laptop Backpack
The super slim oneNo products found.
There are many bags that have a large amount of storage space, and while that’s certainly great for a lot of people, there are also times where something smaller and more manageable can be a better-suited option. In these instances, looking out for a super slim laptop backpack like this model from Mark Ryden is a great idea.
While this bag may be compact, it does still have room for quite a few things. Space for a 16” laptop and a large mesh pocket offer plenty of space for any additional small items, too.
Since it’s made with a sturdy and waterproof polyurethane material, you can go about your business without having to worry about the safety of your bag and everything inside. It is worth noting that it’s not suitable for heavy rain; it can withstand light wet weather, but it’s best to cover it if you know that it’s going to be used during a downpour.
- Dimensions: 16.9” x 13.8“ x 3.8”
- Durable, waterproof material
- The back-sleeve function makes it easy to slide
- Classic unisex design, ideal for men and women in the workplace, school, and a variety of different situations
No products found.
5. SHRRADOO 50L Laptop Backpack
For extra large capacityNo products found.
This large capacity laptop backpack is just perfect for students with loads of books or travelers, thanks to its 50 liter capacity. There are 3 spacious main multi-compartments; each of which has their own pockets, ideal for storing smaller things like travel accessories, stationary, and notebooks. There are 20 individual pockets outside of these that are great for overall organization and storage.
Details like an adjustable clasp and sturdy handle only help to make it easier to get around, and keep everything safe and secure. Additionally, there’s an external USB port, so that you can charge your devices on the go.
When it comes to comfort, there’s a lot to love about this particular bag; from the simple air cushions on the shoulder straps, to the three-dimensional ventilation design to help with air circulation and heat elimination on the back.
The versatile back strap allows the bag to slide over the handles of roller luggage, so you can easily carry it along with you on longer travels if necessary.
- Dimensions: 19.5” x 15” x 11”
- Waterproof polyester with nylon lining
- Huge 50 liter capacity and several compartments and pockets
- Perfect for airline travel, school, work, and more
No products found.
6. KROSER Laptop Backpack
Great for large laptops
If you’re looking for a cheap backpack for a large laptop on the other hand, it might be worth considering this bag from KROSER instead. This brand has a few stylish color choices whereas others are more limited, so you’re sure to be able to find one that suits your preferences.
This large, spacious bag has a dedicated laptop compartment, padded with foam to keep it extra safe. It’s worth noting that it’s able to fit laptops up to 17.3 inches, which is larger than many of its competitors. There’s also plenty of space for you to store clothes, other electronic devices, files and papers, and more; making it ideal for any work, school, or travel needs.
Made with high quality, environmentally friendly polyester, this backpack is both durable and better for the earth. The fabric is also water-repellent, so you won’t need to worry if you’re traveling in light rain. It’s also worth considering the ergonomically designed adjustable shoulder straps, which certainly make travel more comfortable.
- Dimensions: 18.5“ x 13.3” x 7.8”
- 4 different color choices; black, navy, and two shades of gray
- Water-repellent and durable polyester material
- Built-in USB port to make charging your devices more convenient
- High Quality Material: The laptop backpack is made of good environment-friendly poly fabric with new function of water-repellent, which is quite durable....
7. Himal Military Tactical Backpack
The tactical choice
Designed and constructed with the military in mind, you can rest assured that this tactical backpack is going to be perfect for a range of uses. Durable, spacious, and more, I think that it’s certainly worth checking out.
Made with 900D Oxford fabric, it’s strong enough to stay together without worry and should hold up just fine in wet weather. If you’re hoping to find a durable bag for a good price, Himal have you covered. The military Molle system and the fact that it’s breathable are also great features that are worth considering, too.
To help keep everything packed tightly together and safe on your shoulders, there’s a double waist belt and thick shoulder straps. Additionally, the handle at the top is perfect for when you need to carry it by hand.
All this is made even better by the satisfaction guarantee. Himal offers a free exchange/refund within 45 days after purchase, as well as a one-year limited warranty.
- Dimensions: 20” x 12” x 12”
- Durable and waterproof Oxford 900D fabric,
- 40 liters of space and additional compartments and pockets, plus a Molle system that can attach additional tactical pouches
- One-year limited warranty and satisfaction guarantee
- 【Large Capacity】Approx dimensions:20’’x12’’x12’’,Capacity: 40L.Large enough to carry all your tactical gears.
8. JanSport Big Student Classics Series Backpack
Perfect for students
The JanSport Big Student Classics Series Backpack is known for its durability and reliability as it is made from high-quality polyester. It is appealing to kids, teenagers, and adults alike due to its availability in a variety of colors and prints.
Especially relevant aspect of this bag is the number of pockets and two big compartments making it a great organizer. Because the straps are ergonomically designed in S shape, maximum comfort is ensured when balancing the backpack carrying any number of things.
The backpack has sturdy zippers made sufficiently strong to withstand any kind of abuse. Finally, the coolest feature is that the backpack created by JanSport Outdoor Equipment is warranted for life. If the life warranty is not proof of how confident JanSport is about the durability and reliability of this backpack, I don’t know what is.
- CAPACITY: 1952 cu in / 32 L LAPTOP DIMENSIONS: 12.5" x 11" x 1" / 32 x 28 x 3 cm WEIGHT: 1 lb 1 oz / 0.5 kg DIMENSIONS: 16.75" x 13" x 8.5" / 42.5 x 33 x...
9. Bolang Water Resistant Nylon Backpack
Perfect for general use
The Bolang Water Resistant Nylon School Laptop Backpack is one stylish-looking backpack that boasts a beautifully classy appearance. It is also one of the cool backpacks for college.
In addition to its color variety and simple, neat design, it is made of water-resistant, lightweight and durable nylon fabric and a strong inner lining.
This Bolang backpack has two main compartments. First of all, it includes one padded compartment capable of fitting a laptop that is up to 16” safely and it is secured with a zipper.
Also, the Bolang backpack comes with front pockets that are handily placed for small items making probably one of the best college backpacks for use at school. It can also be used for hiking, casual travel, camping, work and many other places without being out of place.
- Dimensions & Material: H 18.5" x L 12" x W 6"; Weight: 0.7kg(1.54lbs); Made from high-grade water resistant, lightweight, durable nylon material (Please...
10. High Sierra Swerve Backpack
Most custom choices
The High Sierra Swerve Backpack is among the best backpacks for college. It is not only a stylish backpack but is also high quality and durable backpack. It also comes in many, many different designs, you can really find one to suit your personality.
Its versatility makes this backpack suitable for a variety of activities including for work, travels and school. Most of all it is also suitable for any individual irrespective of age, class or gender.
Since the bag has been designed with comfort and safety in mind, it is a highly functional bag as a result. It has been ergonomically designed with mesh padded back panel and Airflow shoulder straps with Suspension System hence it helps prevent shoulder aches and pains. Furthermore, the numerous pockets will enable you to stay extremely organized without much effort.
- Contains large, multi-compartment design.
- Ergonomically designed with mesh padded back panel and Airflow shoulder straps with Suspension System hence helps prevent shoulder aches and pains.
- Integrated TECH SPOT tablet computer sleeve
- Has premium organizer with multiple pockets and key fob plus a media pocket with headphone port
- Large main compartments and multiple pockets allow you to keep all of your gear secure and organized.
Backpack buying tips
There are so many different brands and styles from which to pick it can be confusing to say the least.
College students often carry quite heavy pieces of tech around with them as well as books, food and mobile phones. So they need to move these items as easy as possible from class to class and in many ways, a backpack is one of their most important organizational tools.
Travelers, on the other hand, may want something more lightweight and breathable.
But it also can’t be ignored that your backpack is as much a fashion statement as it is practical and useful. It should reflect the individual tastes and interests of the student and should be stylish. Whether they are sporty, fashionable or intellectual, then there is a bag that matches their personality and their needs.
You can find my full backpack guide here, but let me just drop some quick tips:
What should you look for in a cheap backpack?
- hard wearing
- well designed
- waterproof or water resistant (although not essential)
- big enough
- comfortable on your back
Some of the best college backpacks have water-resistant as standard, adjustable straps, a ventilated back and plenty of compartments allowing the storage of many items, so it’s also a good idea to try to choose one that has some if not all of these qualities.
Final thoughts on the best backpacks under $50
Choosing the best backpack depends on your needs, but I hope you realize there is plenty of choices out there. Based on some good information you should then be able to pick the one that ticks all the boxes for you, that not only looks good but is capable of withstanding some of the tough day-to-day treatment and lasts more than a term.
I hope this article has been of help in answering what are the best backpacks for college with laptops. If you have suggestions or thoughts, please leave a comment below.
You may also like to read: